The Great School and Lyceum were the first to introduce learning and teaching of classical languages at the beginning of the XIX century. In 1875, the Chair for Classical Languages and Literature was established, while in 1900 the Classical Philology was formed as a separate study group.

Today, the Classics Department offers courses on graduate, master and doctoral levels concerning topics about: Greek and Latin Linguistics, Greek and Roman Literature, Byzantine and Late Latin Literature, and Cultural History of the Ancient World.

At present, the Department of Classical Studies enrolls about 120 students while the teaching staff employs 15 professors.

The Head of the Department
Vojin Nedeljković, Ph.D.
Associate Professor